The Time I Flashed Fort Lewis

Yes, you read that correctly. I’ll get to that in a minute.

I’m going to go ahead and divulge the best part of my run – About a mile in, I saw a Chinook off in the distance, flying towards me. Within seconds, the thunder of it’s blades filled my ears, and I couldn’t help but stare directly overhead at it, thinking about the 30 soldiers we lost last weekend. It literally brought me chills, and gave me so much more motivation to absolutely rock this run. Today I ran, because I can run free; thanks to the soldiers that gave this ultimate sacrifice.

Have you ever had a run, where everything went perfect? The first step hit, and you knew you that sucker in the bag? Where you hit your turnaround, and thought ‘wow, already?’ and trucked it back home?

Today was one of those days.

Today, Husband is scheduled to be out in the field [for you civilians, that means he’s out in the woods playing ‘war’] until about 3 am tomorrow, so I knew I’d be running with the kiddo. That’s an additional 50 extra pounds. No bother, I run with her often, and if I do it during nap time, it goes fairly well. Imagine my excitement when I peered into the stroller, and found this:

zonked out!!

BOO YEAH. I pulled out my iPod, found solace in some PERFECT music, waited at stoplights that took F-O-R-FREAKING-E-V-E-R, then glanced at my watch, realizing I needed to turn around soon.

As I turned, and a HUGE gust of wind caught my running skirt, all up in my business Marilyn Monroe style. I froze, wide eyed, for what seemed like HOURS. Granted, this all happened in a split second, but it was pretty embarrassing. My spandex [barely] covered booty was one with the winds of Fort Lewis. Of course, I was out during lunchtime, and at a pretty happenin’ spot on post – where the Burger King drive thru entrance is. I sincerely apologize if I made anyone sick. *sigh* Anyway, the run home wasn’t nearly as eventful. I showered, and got a small late lunch in.

Today, I ran 6 miles for the following fallen soldiers. For more information on this endeavor, click here.

Marine Maj. Jay T. Aubin // August 8, 1966 – March 20, 2003
Maj Aubin, 36, of Waterville Maine, was assigned to the Marine Aviation Weapons and Tactics Squadron 1, 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing, based out of Marine Corps Air Station Yuma. The oldest of three boys, he was riding in airplanes with his father at the age of two. Working as a helicopter mechanic, he then met his wife Rhonda, a fellow Marine, and had two children.

Marine Staff Sgt. Kendall Damon Waters-Bey // June 16, 1973 – March 20, 2003
S Sgt Waters-Bey, 29, of Baltimore Maryland, was assigned to the Marine Medium Helicopter Squadron – 268, 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing, Marine Corps Air Station out of Camp Pendleton, California. Considered by many to be a “flawless example” to what a Marine should be, this outgoing and devoted father is certainly missed by many. He enjoyed fishing with his 10 year old son, and having cookouts with his family.

Marine Capt. Ryan Anthony Beaupre // December 10, 1973 – March 20, 2003
Capt Beaupre, 30, of Bloomington, Illionois assigned to the Marine Medium Helicopter Squadron 268, 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing, out of Marine Corps Air Station Camp Pendleton, California. Reading just one paragraph about Capt Beaupre’s life, I can tell he was a stand-up guy. He left the corporate world to join the Marines, and quickly became a respected officer. He would give up phone calls home, instead giving the phone to those that had wives and children. With unruly red hair and an infectious smile, there are plenty of quirky stories about Capt Beaupre’s life out there – he once lost his job at a grocery store for knocking over a cash register… while doing handstands. Click
here to read his letter home, that he wrote in the event of his death.

Navy Petty Officer 3rd Class Jason Profitt // June 17, 1980 – March 17, 2003
PO3 Profitt, 23, of Charlestown, Maryland was assigned to the destroyer Deyo, homeported in Norfolk, Virginia. Planning to make a career out of the Navy, PO3 Profitt wanted to provide for his three children, while making a change in the world.

Marine Corps Pfc. James R. Dillon Jr. // March 9, 1984 – March 13, 2003
PFC. Dillon, 19, of Grove City Pennsylvania, was assigned to B Company, 3rd Light Armored Reconnaissance Battalion, 1st Marine Division, out of Twentynine Palms, California. An above average student, PFC Dillon was also known for his volunteering work at his high school, and also with Gove City’s Big Brother Big Sister program.

Army Pfc. Spence A. McNeil // October 31, 1984 – March 8, 2003
PFC McNeil, 19, of Bennettsville, South Carolina, was assigned to B Battery, 2nd Battalion, 43rd Air Defense Artillery Regiment, out of Fort Bliss, Texas. PFC McNeil graduated from Marlboro High School, and then enlisted in the Army just days later. He is described to have had an easy going manner, a good sense of humor, and was making friends quickly in the Army.

The Time I Flashed Fort Lewis

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s