15 miles {!!!}

I was nervous about today’s run. It was totally uncharted territory, but luckily I had some tweets that reassured me I’d be fine. 🙂


I woke up at around 430 and downed a breakfast that, in retrospect, was way too heavy to have at the time. Luckily it kind of forced me to take the beginning miles slower, something I can never seem to do. I didn’t really ‘wake up’ until about mile 4, where I then did 2 loops around the airfield before making the quick 2ish mile trek home.

The splits were pretty impressive, in my ever so humble opinion Smile with tongue out from 10:05 to 8:49 over 15 miles, it was a steady decline into a comfortable pace that I very well could have kept running at. To me, it was definitely a confidence boosting kind of run, especially with a new long run territory I was super anxious about. As always, reflecting on the soldiers I was running for, was the hardest part of the run. I hydrated well, I fueled well (with the exception of the morning meal) and mentally I was ready to own this run.

After a quick ice bath, I met up with Run to Remember (Husband ran, I did not) before heading to Seattle for family day. After eating half a large Chicken BBQ Gluten Free Pizza {it was deeeeeelicious}, downing an Iced White Chocolate Mocha, we’re now laying around watching the Sounders game.

I think Husband definitely deserves special mention, he ROCKED his run this morning, getting his 3 miler (he insists I mention it was 3.05 Winking smile) in 23:24, wherein he ran 2 miles in less than 15 minutes.  He’s also ramping up for the half in mid September, and has an 8 miler tomorrow. Both of my brothers-in-law also completed their 12 milers in preparation for the San Antonio Rock’n’Roll in November, while my sister in law ran 4 miles yesterday and my other sister in law ran 3 today. That’s just bananas; I’d say we’re a pretty productive family Open-mouthed smile

Today, I ran 15 miles for the following fallen military members:

Army Spc. Brandon J. Rowe // April 14, 1982 – March 31, 2003 
SPC Rowe, 20, of Roscoe, Illinois was assigned to C Company, 1st Battalion, 502nd Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division, out of Fort Campbell, Kentucky. His family says that he initially joined the Army to pay for college, but quickly learned to love the military, and therein became a man. Proud of what he accomplished in the short time he was enlisted, SPC was often described as a very caring and sensitive person who was very personable and always smiling.  

Army Spc. William J. Tracy // February 26, 1975 – February 25, 2003
SPC Tracy, 27, of New Hampshire was assigned to B Company, 5th Battalion, 158th Aviation, out of Aviano Air Base, Italy. Rarely home on the weekend because he loved to travel, it seems as though the job of crew chief was made specifically just for SPC Tracy. He spent four years in the Marines before making the swith to the Army, something he did so that he could spend time in the air. He liked to take toys and trinkets to children in various parts of the world, so they would they think well of Soldiers.

Army Chief Warrant Officer 2 John D. Smith // November 3, 1970 – February 23, 2003
CWO2 Smith, 32, of Nevada was assigned to B Co, 5th Battalion, 158th Aviation, out of Aviano Air Base, Italy. CWO2 Smith had his sights set on becoming a commercial pilot, and joined the Army in helping catapult that. He loved rock climbing, and would often go out in the early morning to get a climb in before his wife and daughters woke up. A practical joker who loved to make people smile, CWO2 Smith was also very intellectual; speaking fluent Italian, and pursuing his Masters in Aeronautical Science at the time of his death.

Army Spc. Rodrigo Gonzalez-Garza // December 6, 1976 – February 23, 2003
SPC Gonzalez-Garza, 26, of Texas was assigned to A Co, 5th Battalion, 158th Aviation, from Giebelstadt, Germany. Crew Chief SPC Gonzalez-Garza was an energetic, talkative joker that always kept his tentmates laughing. He loved kids, Nascar and video games, and considered pilot CWO2 Moehling his best friend.

Army Chief Warrant Officer 2 Timothy W. Moehling // September 6, 1967 – February 23, 2003
CWO2 Moehling, 35 , of Florida was assigned to A Company, 5th Battalion, 158th Aviation Regiment, from Giebelstadt, Germany. This devoted husband and father of three was laid back, and it was (jokingly) known that he would rather sit in a sauna than do PT. Joinging the Army and becoming an instructor pilot, he could often be found sitting outside of his tent with his feet up, smoking an aromatic pipe, giving him the nickname “Puff Daddy”.

Spc. Brian M. Clemens // September 9, 1983 – February 6, 2003
SPC Clemens, 19, of Kokomo, Indiana was assigned to C Company, 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry Regiment, from the Indiana Army National Guard. SPC Clemens was the kind of man that wanted to make a difference. He helped raise his younger sister, was an Eagle Scout, would often volunteer with the local Boy Scout troop, and would also go to the local high school to help coach younger wrestlers, and also assist teachers with new computer programs. He was also widely known in the community for being the “Mountain Man” for his high school cheerleading team.

Army Sgt. Michael C. Barry // February 8, 1973 – February 1, 2003
SGT Barry, 29, of Overland Park, Kansas was assigned to the 205th Medical Battalion from the Missouri National Guard. SGT Barry was a devout Christian and a member of the Kansas City Baptist Temple, where he coached youth soccer and intramural volleyball. SGT Barry leaves behind his wife, Jennifer, whom was also a member of the Missouri National Guard.

Army Staff Sgt. Daniel Leon Kisling Jr. // February 20, 1971 – January 30, 2003
SSG Kisling, 31, of Neosho, Missouri was assigned to the 1st Battalion, 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment, out of Fort Campbell, Kentucky. Coined the “crew chief poster child” among fellow soldiers, SSG Kisling is remembered as a fun loving but dedicated soldier. He left behind a wife, Georgie, who was his high school sweetheart, and their three children, with another expected in June 2003.

Army Sgt. Gregory M. Frampton // August 20, 1965 – January 30, 2003
SGT Frampton, 37, of Fresno, California was assigned to the 1st Battalion, 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment, out of Fort Campbell, Kentucky. Aside from his professional career in which he was described as a perfectionist and volunteering for things others did not want to do, he was also a member of the Knights of Columbus as well as an excellent craftsman and woodworker.

Army Chief Warrant Officer 2 Thomas J. Gibbons // December 23, 1971 – January 30, 2003
CWO2 Gibbons, 31, of Prince Frederick, Maryland was assigned to the 1st Battalion, 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment, out of Fort Campbell, Kentucky. CWO2 Gibbons had dreamed of flying helicopters since he was a small child. He enlisted two months after high school graduation, leaving the Army after the Gulf War, only to reenlist once he realized civilian life wasn’t for him. Going to Ranger school, he realized he still wanted to fly; the schooling for which he accomplished in 1997. He left behind a wife and two children.

Army Sgt. Steven Checo // May 24 1980 – December 20, 2002
Sgt. Checo, 22, of New York, New York was assigned to the 504th Infantry Regiment, 82nd Airborne Division, out of Fort Bragg, North Carolina. From the moment he and his family emigrated from the Dominican Republic when he was 13, he knew he wanted to serve in the military. Joining the Army a month after graduating high school, he quickly breezed through various courses, including Airborne.

Army Pvt. 2 James Henry Ebbers // June 15, 1983 – October 14, 2002
PV2 Ebbers, 19, of Bridgeview, Illinois, was assigned to the 551st Military Police Company, out of Fort Campbell Kentucky. He joined the military after high school, as a way to pay for college. PV2 Ebbers is described as a happy, hardworking, faithful and honest soldier that was a dedicated soldier who wanted to make a difference in the world.

Marine Corps Lance Cpl. Antonio J. Sledd // June 7, 1982 – October 8, 2002
LCpl Sledd, 20, of Hillsborough, Florida was assigned to the 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines, 11th Marine Expeditionary Unit out of Camp Pendleton. Friends remember him as a prankster, the proud owner of a purple Camaro called “Barney”, and a fiercly competitive and sometimes hot tempered basketball player. He is survived by his parents and twin brother, who was currently serving in Okinawa at the time of LCpl Sledd’s death. Sledd’s unit was practicing urban warfare tactics in a non-live fire exercise, when two Kuwaiti nationals with ties to al Qaeda attacked them.

Army Sgt. 1st Class Mark Jackson // June 7, 1962 – October 2, 2002
SFC Jackson, 40, of Glennie, Michigan, was assigned to the 1st Special Forces Group, out of Fort Lewis, Washington. During school, SFC Jackson balanced his time between academics, hunting, fishing, football, wrestling and track, graduating high school in 1981 then attending college before joining the military in 1983. A decorated soldier, his recognitions include the Purple Heart and numerous Parachutists Badges. He was killed in a terrorist bombing in the Philippines, survived by his parents and two siblings.

15 miles {!!!}

3 thoughts on “15 miles {!!!}

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s