Long Run and My First Ice Bath

I’m finally getting around to this, almost 12 hours after the completion of the run. After hitting the “Publish” button, I’m going to do some stretching, some meditating and going to bed. The Optimist leaves for Ft Sill tomorrow, so last minute errands were necessary, as well as soaking up every possible moment with him and our kiddo.

Today’s run was AWESOME. It was my longest run since she was born, and it ties for the longest distance I have ever run. The Army Man and I left late, around 8 this morning; luckily it wasn’t too hot out when we started. After the heinous 4 miler we endured earlier in the week, I was worried that this run would crash and burn quickly. I have also been coming down with a cold for the past 2 days, complete with a stuffy nose, sore throat and headache.

2 miles into the run, I knew I had it in the bag. I was focusing a lot on my form, and I was mentally honed in on roundhouse kicking this run square in the jaw. I know a lot will scoff at the idea, but I went sans iPod. I’ve been doing this for a long time now, and I cannot remember the last time I had a run with buds in my ears. I started this in the morning, mainly because it was dark and I wanted to be able to hear everything around me, since the vision sense was squat. Turns out, I really enjoy listening to everything around me. I find myself running to the pace of the water swishing around in my Amphipod, or enjoying the birds chirping as the sun comes up.

The Optimist really helped me a lot during this run. Between being my carrot and motivating me, I definitely came to the conclusion that he’s the best running partner ever. I wish he could be at the Little Miami Half, and the USAF half but such is life. Doesn’t mean that it will not  happen in the future. We both agree that the run has made us a little “off” today – the appetites aren’t all there, and we just don’t feel normal.

So I had a friend of mine plant a disgusting seed in my head about a week ago. Ice baths. Yeah. It’s as painful as it sounds. I must have been delirious from my run, because I promptly came home and filled the tub with ice and water. I dipped my big toe in, and I immediately wanted to cry. I knew this was going to help, and after trying not to think about it, I lowered my legs into the tub. I screamed, yelped, cursed my way into the stage of numbness that includes the pinprinck-ly feeling, but after awhile I got used to it. I sat for 10 minutes, eyes closed the majority of the time. I would glance at my legs every now and again, expecting to see blue toes at any given moment. My legs feel great, and I’ll be doing this again. I’d say it’s worth it, but the final verdict will come tomorrow.

I’m going to bed.

Long Run and My First Ice Bath

One thought on “Long Run and My First Ice Bath

  1. Lorie says:

    Good job Nat! I also enjoy running without my I-Pod. I can actually listen to what’s going on inside me and can pick up a pretty nice pace as well as be able to control my breahting and slow that down easily if needed. Although I haven’t run in awhile – I need to start working that back in.
    I can’t imagine trying the ice bath. I’ve toyed with the idea but just can’t bring myself to go through with it.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s